- 65% of black children grow up without a father
- 1 out of every 32 Americans are either in prison, on probation or on parole
- Black women are three times more likely to be sent to prison than white women
- The Number One killer of young black men age 25 and under is AIDS
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
A shocking crime in AlabamaPolice in Albertville say 19-year-old Gary
Helms, Junior is charged with raping his 45-year-old mother. Police say he did it to seek revenge against his brother after the two argued over a girlfriend.
The police report says Helms' mother was passed out drunk on the couch when
the rape started. She came to and recognized her son during the attack. The police report says his mother tried to get away but Helms held her down until he was finished.
Albertville police Sergeant James Smith says Helms confessed to the attack and was ordered held in the Marshall County Jail on a $100,000 bond.
"From what we understand the rape stemmed from an argument between him and his brother. And apparently they were arguing over a girlfriend. And the rape was some sort of retaliation towards his brother ... it's just pretty much a shock to the conscious of the general public."
Just when that was bad enough, today I was discussing the story with a sister (my age) who does Domestic Violence Work, and she calmly said:
"I'm not shocked at all by that.
""WHAT??" Was my responce.
"Black women have increasingly been having sex with their male sons for some time now. When this first came to light, I didn't want to believe it either. Then a boy sent me a poem he wrote ...."
You enter when I'm in the tub,
You wash my hands
Then you wash my body
Then you wash my penis
Then you kiss my penis
I try in vain not to be arouseand
....you tell me I'm your little man
For a long time we've discussed the demoralization of black men ... of men in general. But a culture can go no higher than it's women. When we've demoralized them ... or allow them to become demoralized ... it's over.
There is no "Next Generation." The kids are already beyond being "in trouble." It may take a long time to get past these Dark Days. It may take us several generations. In the mean time, I'm through with working in the non-profit world ...
Mental Health? It's filled with sociopaths and shit throwing schizophrenics who need five or six firemen and police to hold them down.
Homeless? Ahhh ... poor little 49 year old homeless vet ... why you still going in and out of prison? Ahhh ... here ... let me help you ... and in the process ... you look upon me as yet another Mark for your sociopathic vengeance ... because you can't feel anything else anymore ...
Substance Abuse? Ahhh ... poor wittle meth feind ... Crack wasn't enough, eh? Still in fear of feeling an adult feeling? Still in torment that you might recall ... even for a second ... some of the havoc you're wrecked on any and everyone who's ever tried to help or reach out to you? Ahhh ... and now your behavior mirrors someone with a Borderline Personality Disorder 'cause you want EVERYBODY to loose ... and the none of them can feel love anymore. None of them can truly love (as an unselfish adult does) any more. All they can feel is some measure of pleasure when they think they've made you suffer because you just didn't feel like kissing their rotten butts that day.Naaa ... time for me to get a farm somewhere ... and it's past time for them to reap what they've been sowing all these "gansta" 25 past years.
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
When I think about what it will take to once and for all, set down in stone, who we are as a people, one of the main things that comes to mind is the fact that we'll have to revise our image of what a man is.
You can say what you will about white America, but two things we do know that has helped their culture rise and create strength greater than most others, and they are:
- THEY STICK TOGETHER ... right or wrong ... regardless of what is SAID, in the final analysis, the Republicans and the Democrats are on the same page when it comes to White Supremacy and controlling wealth and the means to power. They can argue fuss and fight about all the rest, and will even love and marry you ... but when it comes down to "you" and "them" .... "them" sticks together!
- Men who know how to be MEN, teach other men. They can make all the John Wayne "rugged individualistic" movies they want ... but when they view that movie and when you view that movie, you can bet there's a different message being sent. For them, the message is what it takes to rule. For non-whites, the warped message someone gets translated into: "I don't need no-body telling me nothing! "I'M AN INDIVIDUAL!!"
need to use all parts of our society. At no time will we expect a large portion of black America to join one group of thinking that is striving in one general direction, but I do believe that if successful, those who do, will have a huge, major impact on all the rest.
In short, we will need to use men willing to work and learn integrity ... regardless if they are totally heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual ..... urban-sexual ... et al. The main thing is that they learn what to do with that most sacred part of their body, and to mature their emotions to the extent they can create love, safety and long term continuity in homes and in the New Black Village.
We will talk more about the extremely complex issue of sexuality later. Right now I'd like to end by telling you about a little motif of words that ran along the walls of an up-scale ice cream parlor in Portland, Oregon. The words were:
"If Michelangelo had been straight, he'd have painted the Sistine Chapel flat white."
Monday, November 27, 2006
Okay ... so we can say that the lighter side of planning out our own long term survival on this planet is to simply stop "shitting ourselves" in front of God and "everybody" else on the planet. In short, by engineering our future, we not only have more fun and enjoy more profit, but we discontinue to long practice of being "played."
No more should we allow mainstream mis-leaders to co-op bits and pieces of our "kulture" and paste it in a misshapen image and face it back toward our young ... and instruct them that if they now want to be black, they must turn themselves into sociopaths.
(...Yeah, and far too many others folks who identify with being disenfranchise end up following suit too ... and then .. there goes your right-side car window and the glove compartment is all busted open ... all in search for the .35 cents you left in your ashtray two months ago, that is now going towards somebody's next hit of crack.)
"All living beings must:
- have food
- have shelter
- have someone to love
- have someone to be loved by
- and a means to self-actualize themselves.
~Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
We ain't getting that these days. So ... who's fault is that? Yep. (ours) Time to get busy.
Sunday, November 26, 2006
- "The black farmer, working hard for his own, became the living symbol of the strong, independent black man," Williams writes. "Farming also allowed black families to move into other businesses, from funeral homes to preaching to construction, and thus served as the bedrock of all black wealth in America."There is a current "Reverse Migration" going on. Just as large numbers of blacks moved away from the rural South during the 30s, 40s and on into the 60s... so they are returning."
Friday, November 24, 2006
Black Solutions asserts that Urban America has become a terminal disease that is killing black folks. (Sounds funny, right?) We don't need to run down all the facts and figures, 'yall know them...
- Despite all the killings, AIDS is now the Number One cause of death for black men 25 and under. (And no, they ain't catching nor transmitting the virus by themselves.)
- The Public Health System is now officially overloaded. They don't have enough money nor grant services to provide individuals with known cures they already have.
- Black Theology (black churches) are soooo out dated... still preaching that same old Santa Claus version of God, that didn't keep pace with the Space Age we entered 30 years ago... let along this alienated, technocratic, "New Millennium." Transpersonal Psychology says that "Addiction" is a spiritual emergency. Hence, we need ways of interpreting our current time in ways that will allow us to release our guilt and shame (not the guilt and shame of old Moses and his crew) as well as inspiring hope and showing us The Divine in This age.
We could be here all day just listing the problems, but it's better to go right into some of the solutions.
Check out Dr. Ridgely Muhammad of Muhammad Farms. The page is dated 2003, but maybe this will get you into some research. Leave a comment or two if you find something of worth.
Then have a look at what Paul and David Roach are doing with the West Oakland Farmer's Market.
And Social Commentary from Art a.k.a. Frank Pembleton wrote:
"I've always said that Black people are a rural people, and that we weren't meant to live surrounded by concrete. This whole western urban environment is partly responsible for our jacked up mental, emotional, and physical condition. Half of what we call "Blackness" or Black culture is southern culture anyway. Black people are in denial about our southern roots, because for too long we have associated the south only with terrorism and pain. The white man has tricked us out of our birthright. We didn't just escape from the south, we were also driven from our true homes, not in the absolute sense, for the south isn't a specific place, but rather, rural living, amongst nature, with trees, grass, vegetables, and flowers, is where we should really be. Folks don't even understand. This urban environment is partly responsible for the insanity around hypermasculinity. The whole construction of Black male identity as being only about "hardness" or toughness is directly tied to this urban nightmare we're trapped in."
What we're up against: http://www.ewg.org/reports/blackfarmers/execsumm.php
Why rural or farm life is one of the best choices for what ails us currently.
Land provides self determination. I remember my parents telling us how people who lived on farms like theirs back in Mississippi, were immune to the horrors of The Depression.
When you own your own cow:
- You have plenty of fresh milk
- You have fresh cheese
- You have cream…
When you own your own chickens:
- You don't have to wonder what you'll eat for breakfast
- You can even experiment with new omelets styles
When you grow your own vegetables:
- You don't have to wonder what type of pesticides are on your tomatoes
- You don't have to beg or steal
~You are healthy.
~You have dignity
~You are happy
~You don't see the insides of a Kaiser Stress Clinic
~The only boss you have is the bank … and God
- You have done your research and have started making money through the internet ("new economy")
- You are NOT afraid of hard work
- Want to live out your life peacefully or raise healthy children
- You are a business owner and you find a rural place about 45 minutes outside of a larger city (esp. one with a college or university)
- You're self-employed ... i.e. as an artist or writer
- You have a valuable trade
- You're involved with medicine, teaching, Biotech or hightech.
There are plenty of internet sites that will show you plenty of opportunities.
Urban life ain't getting no better, and unless you're very skillful in a LEGAL career field, it most likely won't provide you with anymore opportunities than it has in the past.
Monday, November 20, 2006
- Provide creative solutions for the problems that currently face African Americans
- To avoid the traps of remaining stuck in "Victim Status"
- To hopefully provoke thought
- ... and occassionally insight humor